Bitte oder Registrieren, um Beiträge und Themen zu erstellen.

Public Health Insurance for a Couple

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm wondering if Public Health insurance costs take into account only working income or capital income is also taken into account? Currently I'm insured with my wife who is a government employee. I'm wondering what will happen when I will file my return at end of year? I don't work and all income is from stocks and few private equity funds.

Thanks for guidance.

It depends in the kind of Krankenversicherung.

In case of Private Kranken Versicherung (PKV) you have to pay total amount of your contract only. Independent of your kinds of income. In case of Gesetzlich Kranken Versichert (GKV) you have to pay the ~15% on the most kind of income. In case of FIRE the full amount, if "angestellt" the half and the other half "der Arbeitgeber.

That means, in Germany you have the choice between the Harris or Trump style of healfty insurance 😛

Zitat von firenow am 3. November 2020, 0:08 Uhr

Currently I'm insured with my wife who is a government employee.

If you are insured with your wife, your income should not be higher than +- 450 Euro per month. So if your dividends etc. are higher, you have to pay your own insurance.

Zitat von Privatier am 3. November 2020, 8:26 Uhr
Zitat von firenow am 3. November 2020, 0:08 Uhr

Currently I'm insured with my wife who is a government employee.

If you are insured with your wife, your income should not be higher than +- 450 Euro per month. So if your dividends etc. are higher, you have to pay your own insurance.

Oh I thought that only meant employment income. So at the end of year, I can report my capital income and then pay health insurance accordingly?

I am really not an expert on this subject. But as far as I understand, if you dividend etc. income is above 450 Euro/month, you should contact your insurance now and not at the end of the year.

let me google that keywords
(in German)

--> https://www.wertpapier-forum.de/topic/56917-maximale-kapitalertr%C3%A4ge-in-der-gkv-familienversicherung/

Sozialversicherungswerte 2020

• GKV-Einkommensgrenze für Angehörige in der Familienversicherung = 3.185 EUR / 7 = 455 EUR/Monat bzw. 5.460 EUR/Jahr
  • In der GKV-Familienversicherung wird der EStG-Sparerpauschbetrag berücksichtigt. ...
  • >>> Maximale Kapitalerträge bei Angehörigen in der GKV-Familienversicherung 2020 = 5.460 EUR + 801 EUR = 6.261 EUR

@exit-tbd this is very helpful. Danke Schon

• >>> Maximum investment income for relatives in GKV family insurance 2020 = EUR 5,460 + EUR 801 = EUR 6,261

I don’t understand how they calculate investment income. If I sell stocks, I’m consuming my capital first e.g first in first out rule. Thats not income?

Any ideas? I don’t have any dividends fund. All of them are automatically re invested and govt takes 25% since they are held in a german stock broker.

For your income you have to take into consideration 1) dividends and interest 2) if you sell any securities with a gain

Usually you get a tax statement from your bank in spring. I reported these numbers to my GKV and they calculated what I have to pay.

Once again: if you think your income is above 6261 per year, I would get in contact with your health insurance.

Zitat von Privatier am 4. November 2020, 10:30 Uhr

For your income you have to take into consideration 1) dividends and interest 2) if you sell any securities with a gain

Usually you get a tax statement from your bank in spring. I reported these numbers to my GKV and they calculated what I have to pay.

Once again: if you think your income is above 6261 per year, I would get in contact with your health insurance.

Yeah I have emailed my public health insurance.